Monday, March 23, 2020

Asbury High and the Thief's Gamble by Kelly Brady Channick Genre: YA Mystery

  • Which of your novels can you imagine made into a movie? If your book was made into a film, who would you like to play the lead?

            I combined these two questions because I felt like the same answer pretty much goes for both. With my Asbury High series (which is already completely mapped out), I feel like I created a whole world and can see all of the characters and settings perfectly. Therefore, I feel as if it would be easy to translate over onto the screen. However, because they are mysteries and get more intensive (both the mysteries and teenage drama), as the characters get older and progress through high school, I feel as if a series would be better. This way no important or much-loved details would be left out. Also, I can’t necessarily see anyone playing the lead. If it was up to me, I would look to cast unknowns for each role, that way they wouldn’t be known for anything else before becoming each character.


  • What can we expect from you in the future?

            A lot more books! Ask anyone who knows me and I love to talk---in addition to be voted most athletic, I was also the class clown. Part of that goes with the ability to tell stories that others enjoy listening to. Thus, in addition to my seven-part Asbury High series--- which will be released over the next two and a half years, I have also written an adult crime novel, and have plans for three other books from various genres.

  • Who designed your book covers?

            Susan Schafer--- and I highly recommend her, she is an amazingly talented artist!! Although only one of my books in the Asbury High series is out, the second one comes out early summer and the third is due out in September. Sue is currently hard at work designing the covers, and I am so excited. I have always gravitated more towards the book covers where you could tell they are hand-drawn and not just stock images pulled together. This way I can honestly say my books feature one-of-kind artwork--- look at the Harry Potter or Sammy Keyes covers, how could you resist reading them after seeing those drawings?!

  • How did you come up with name of this book?

            As I have mentioned earlier, I grew up outside of Ocean City, NJ. Furthermore, I wrote the first draft of Asbury High and the Thief’s Gamble when I was 18! I specifically remember driving to high school and picturing the story in my head (I had the idea running around my head for a few years before I put pen to paper), and stopping on Asbury Ave. Driving past both of my favorite bookstores--- both of which are located on Asbury Ave, I thought, “That’s it! That’s the name of my town,” in homage to SunRose and Bookateria II.

  • Do your characters seem to hijack the story or do you feel like you have the reigns of the story?

            This is a funny one--- and one I feel that most writers will agree with. Sitting down to write, although I have an outline and general idea of how I want the story to progress, I think I’m in control. However, after jumping into my character’s world, I realize that they tend to hijack my plans more often than not. In fact, one of my characters in Asbury was meant to be a complete jerk the whole series, but I found myself maturing and softening him as the series continued. Which, I guess, is better than I even planned, for I love when characters evolve.

  • Convince us why you feel your book is a must read. What inspired you to write this book?

            I was inspired to write this book because, and although I LOVE SCI-FY AND PARANORMAL, I wanted to read a book where the main characters were dealing with real-life issues, without the excuse or aid of powers. At the time of writing Asbury High, Twilight was huge and it seemed as if every book started having powers or paranormal happenings. Like I said, that’s cool and I enjoy reading them too, but I wanted a book where the teens had to overcome issues and solve a mystery that was believable. Furthermore, I wanted to make my story have more than one main character, and in this case there are four. Each of my characters (Maddie, Cornelious, Carly and Pilot), are so close with each other, but also have different strengths (and weaknesses), interests, and even home-lives, so they each bring a different perspective to the table.

            All authors say this about their work, but I honestly feel like this series is a MUST-READ! Not just the first book but all seven. I will also admit something… this first book is not the best in the series, although it is quite awesome. Because the characters are just starting high school and only fourteen, I didn’t want to throw all of the high school drama at them in one year. For those out of high school reading this, think back, it’s not as if you experienced everything high school and growing up had to offer in one year! Therefore, as the series goes on, the book does deal with more relationships, and tougher mysteries. However, I will add this: JK Rowling is my favorite author and I love how she sprinkles little, seemingly-unimportant details in each of her books, which end up being important later on. So, if you love series and mysteries, you NEED to read these books…and start paying attention. I wrote each novel with all the books outlined and knowing I wanted to hide details and future plots (and plot twists) in each story. HAVE FUN!!




Asbury, although a haven to shoobies (tourists) in the summer, is a divided coastal town. With the rich half living in the East, and the rest living in the West, most friendships stay within their boundaries. Luckily for a spunky-smart tomboy, a clever billionaire athlete, a gossipy-in-the-know cheerleader, and a wrong side of the tracks technological genius, boundaries are a foreign concept. In fact, Maddie, Cornelious, Carly and Pilot have been Asbury’s strongest quartet for years, despite their vast differences. Nevertheless, after a few weeks of starting high school, the foursome’s friendship is tested.
After a string of burglaries in East Asbury, the gang decides to solve the crime as a reason to make time for each other. The further they investigate, the more they find themselves constantly side-stepping tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum-like policemen, outsmarting local bully JB and his gang of misfits, and dealing with Cornelious’ billionaire father and Governor---who has disapproved of his son’s choice of friends for years. In addition to these obstacles, the foursome must also adapt to their evolving friendship with each other and their peers.
With upperclassmen, teachers, and teammates vying for their attention, the gang must work even harder to root out the red-herrings from the true thief. Aided by Carly’s gossip, Maddie’s boldness, Cornelious’ quick-wit, and Pilot’s knack for technology, the gang soon discovers its edge over the local police department. 






For as long as she could remember, Kelly Brady Channick loved making up stories, and leaving her listeners/readers on the edge of their seats. 
Perhaps that’s why she always managed to talk herself out of trouble... 
After graduating from NJ’s own Ocean City High School, Kelly accepted a basketball scholarship to Holy Family University, in Philadelphia. As a lifelong athlete, Kelly understands the importance of teamwork and overcoming adversity, something she hopes translates into her books. 
Before writing page-turners, she taught first, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth grade — like a dessert menu, she simply had to test them all out. But her favorite job is the one she’s now doing full time: writing. Kelly loves to craft whodunit mysteries, leading readers through various twists and turns filled with red-herrings, hidden clues, and more peculiar characters than a reality show. 
Kelly lives in South Jersey with her handsome husband, energetic baby boy, two cookie-stealing dogs, and an awfully smart cat. 
If you want to know when Kelly’s next book will come out, please visit her website at www.kbchannick.com where you can sign up to receive emails providing updates for new releases, or contact her directly, as well as win fun giveaways, and receive up to date news. 





$20 Amazon 
Follow the tour HERE for special content and a giveaway!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Land of the Free Trilogy by Mimi Barbour Genre: Romantic Suspense, Adventure

    To escape the dysfunction of city life, Demi Fedora leaves behind everything she knows to move to her deceased grandfather’s derelict ca...