Monday, February 24, 2020

A Light in the Darkness by Lisa A. Sniderman Genre: Inspirational Memoir

  • So, tell me a little about yourself. Writer? Editor? Life etc

I’m Lisa Sniderman, aka Aoede, an award-winning, quirky, folk-pop artist, playwright, teaching artist, author, filmmaker from San Francisco, and have been battling a rare chronic illness for nearly 12 years while obsessively creating to heal. I create and record unique, original full-length fantasy musicals on audiobooks that I adapt to musical theater stage plays. I’ve been honored with more than 80 awards for my songwriting, audiobooks, films, stage plays and books since 2012 all while suffering from a rare autoimmune disease: dermatomyositis, a progressive muscle weakness disease. My mission is to be a light and a muse by inspiring, engaging, empowering, connecting with, encouraging, and supporting young adults and kids at heart of all ages, challenges, and abilities through original art and music. My new memoir: A Light in the Darkness: Transcending Chronic Illness through the Power of Art and Attitude (Sep2018), chronicles my 10-year journey living with chronic illness while creating to heal. I founded an online community of artists creating to heal and collaborated with more than 50 artists who are also creating to heal, culminating in an online video showcase and live multi-media performances in December 2018.
  • What do you LOVE doing in the book world? Tell me why.

I love writing and sharing my story! I love connecting with my readers and receiving messages or receiving reviews from people who are inspired by my book, story or journey, and realizing the impact I am having as a writer and artist. It is hard to be vulnerable, and knowing that because I shared my journey, I encouraged, helped or inspired someone else is totally worth it. I love connecting with other authors and am always learning. The book world as an author is still new to me, so I am always growing: whether it is navigating the world of publishing, marketing and promotion, or improving my craft and writing, I love to learn new skills as an artist, especially those that scare me and take me out of my comfort zone.
  • What is your favourite genre to write? Why?

I have written a memoir, so that genre comes naturally to me!
  • What else do you enjoy outside of editing and writing/interviewing/publishing?

I enjoy spending time with my husband at home, playing music, creating, cooking, and playing with our adorable wire fox terrier, Alice. I enjoy time online connecting on social networks with my friends and fans.
  • What are you working on right now? Editing? Writing?

I collaborated with more than 20 “lights in the darkness” artists who contributed their vocals to a new recording Keep Shining, and released the song and video that shares my story and struggle with rare chronic illness, disability and recovery. It is a powerful reminder to never give up. Keep Shining music video has been selected for multiple film festivals and has received several awards, and was considered for Grammy awards!
KEEP SHINING VIDEO LINK:
I also have a NEW AUDIOBOOK of my memoir now available that I narrated!
I am creating a free virtual summit for those who live and struggle with chronic illness, for July 2020, and spending this year recording video interviews with 60 experts: thriving artists who also battle illness, medical experts, thought leaders, spiritual teachers and healers, alternative practitioners, online support networks, creative (music, art, drama) therapists to share strategies, practices, resources, tools, tips, demos and more on how to thrive! There is a new Facebook Group for the summit as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2521920814702414/
This also sparked my next musical project, a spoken word album on the stages of grief and thriving that I am writing and recording now and will also inspire my next book!
  • Why do you write the genre you’ve chosen? Have you had any experiences that influenced your decision you can share?

After persevering for more than 10 years through a rare chronic illness by obsessively turning to creativity to express and as a healing path, I decided during conversations with my editor that I wanted to share my story. I realized that because I had taken on the role of muse, becoming a light in the darkness, offering support, compassion, inspiration, connection, and encouragement to those who need it most-especially those experiencing transformations: illness, disability, or unexpected life challenges, I wanted to write to inspire my readers, which led to me selecting memoir as my genre. I had struggled with the tone of the story, initially sharing it as a diary and inviting the reader in to my secrets and confessions, but revised the structure to be more universal and to share coping strategies and life lessons via each of my chapters (e.g., Redefining Success, Facing Your Fears, Putting Yourself Out There). This also allowed me to plunge deeper than just relaying an account of my day-to day experiences allowed me, and to share more personal thoughts and reflections on my journey.
  • Can you tell the readers one bizarre ritual you must do during your writing/editing /interviewing/illustrating day?

Not bizarre, but because I live with chronic illness, fatigue and limited energy, I have to be rested to write; so I allow myself to nap during the day without guilt, when and for however long I need to! I also always have my cup of tea and my dog, Alice, right next to me for added comfort and joy when writing!
  • Anything else you want to tell us, be my guest.
I love to connect and receive messages from my readers, friends and fans! Please feel free to write me and follow me on Facebook and Twitter, I’ll connect with you too! 
Also, to find my book on Amazon



To connect with me:
Fostering Healing by Giving Your Creative Spirit Wings and Inspiring You to Share Your Story...

(Award-Winning Singer-Songwriter/Playwright/Recording Artist/Composer/Author/ Filmmaker/Dreamer)



A Light in the Darkness 
by Lisa A. Sniderman 
Genre: Inspirational Memoir 


What can we do when we struggle with an illness that doesn't go away?

An inspirational story of the healing power of music, creativity, following your dreams and finding your true purpose.

In 2008, singer-songwriter Lisa Sniderman was living the dream in California. As Aoede, the Muse of Song, her star as a gifted recording artist was rising fast. Lisa’s quirky folk-pop performance style electrified audiences up and down the West Coast, and the albums just kept flowing. But just when her career was rocketing skyward, a health crisis brought all of her dreams crashing to the ground. Diagnosed with a rare, debilitating immune disorder called dermatomyositis (DM), Lisa struggled to maintain a normal life with a body in revolt and, eventually, to accept a new normal. Living with a chronic illness challenged Lisa to see DM as a gift in disguise that has opened the door to new dreams, new songs, and new opportunities. Lisa’s story is for you if you seek strength, new inspiration, hope, joy, healing, and if you or someone you love struggle with a chronic illness, disability, or unexpected life events. Her insights and reflections on her journey inspire hope and the courage to keep dreaming and living to the fullest no matter what life hurls at you. 



Lisa Sniderman, aka Aoede, is an award-winning, quirky, folk-pop artist, playwright, filmmaker, and author from San Francisco who creates to heal. She creates and records unique, original full-length fantasy musicals on audiobooks that she adapts to musical theater stage plays. She’s been honored with more than 80 awards for songwriting, audiobooks, films, stage plays and books since 2012 all while suffering from a rare autoimmune disease: dermatomyositis, a progressive muscle weakness disease. Lisa’s mission is to be a light and a muse by inspiring, engaging, empowering, connecting with, encouraging, and supporting young adults and kids at heart of all ages, challenges, and abilities through original art and music. She fosters healing by “giving your creative spirit wings and inspiring you to share your story.” 

Lisa’s new memoir, A Light in the Darkness: Transcending Chronic Illness through the Power of Art and Attitude, chronicles 10 years living with chronic illness while creating to heal. Through confessions and life lessons, Lisa offers support, compassion, strength, connection, encouragement, motivation, and hope-a light in the darkness-to those battling chronic illness, disability and unexpected life challenges. 

Lisa founded an online community of artists creating to heal and collaborated with more than 50 artists who are also creating to heal, culminating in an online video showcase and live multi-media performances in December 2018. 


Follow the tour HERE for special content and a giveaway!




1 comment:

  1. thank you so much for sharing my book and give-away here! May your readers find inspiration from my story!

    ReplyDelete

Season of the Runer: The Trial of Two Season of the Runer Book 1 by Abigail Linhardt Genre: Dark Epic Fantasy, Swords & Sorcery

   The dead are rising   The endless road and life of a monster-hunting Runer has gone stale for Tzarik and death is the only alternative. ...