Saturday, February 15, 2020

Children of the Light Series by Donna Hechler Porter

What are your top 10 favorite books/authors?
Catherine Cookson, Phyllis Whitney, Victoria Holt, Kristen Heitzmann, Philippa Gregory, Suzan Tisdale, Judith Pella, C. S. Lewis, Jan Brett (yea – she is a children’s author – but her books are beautiful!) 
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

How long have you been writing?
I have dabbled all my life, but I have attacked it seriously for the past twelve years.

Do the characters all come to you at the same time or do some of them come to you as you write?
I generally have a handle on all the characters, especially the major ones, before I write, but occasionally a minor one will slip into a book. That was how Grayson Cayle, Amon’s brother, showed up. Amon walked into his brother John’s house, and there Grayson was, leaning over Mary’s hand and kissing it.
I was not certain who was more surprised. Amon or me!

What kind of research do you do before you begin writing a book?
I am fortunate in that I have been reading and studying history since before I was twenty, so I have a lot of information in my head. I often tell others I have one foot in the present and another in the past!
So far, when I have needed to do research, it is specific to a situation in the book. For example, I had to do some research on vultures for “Breaking Promises,” as well as some research on how to extract an arrowhead. The route to the west, for David and the others, had to be researched as it was specific to the book. So I stop the writing and do some research until I am satisfied I have what I need, and then I get back to writing.

Do you see writing as a career?
I would love to see writing as a career, but I have to be realistic as well. If I am able to reach a point it earns me a consistent and decent income, I will consider myself blessed. In the meantime, the bills do have to get paid. 

Do you read yourself and if so what is your favorite genre?
Of course – historical fiction has ALWAYS been my favorite genre. I have no idea why I have this love of the past. I love gothic mysteries as well, and I will read contemporary. But, and I hate to admit this, I am very selective in my tastes! 

Do you prefer to write in silence or with noise? Why?
It just depends on how I am feeling that day. Sometimes its full steam ahead with music from “The Last of the Mohicans” or “Pirates of the Caribbean.” Other days its George Winston, Nightnoise, Brian Crain or others with a softer flair. And some days I want it so quiet you could hear a pin drop. 

Do you write one book at a time or do you have several going at a time?
Generally, I am a one project person. I can work on different parts of books – say the writing on this one and the plotting on that one, but I like “completed” projects, and I feel like the end of that project is that much farther away if I am working on multiple projects at one time.

Pen or type writer or computer?
Computer. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and the beginnings of arthritis. I have a pretty neat script if I am writing slow – like when scribing or scheduling things, or making lists, but for writing a scene my fingers simply cannot keep up with my thought processes.

What made you want to become an author and do you feel it was the right decision?
I have wanted to be an author for so long, I really cannot say what made me want to become one.  Was it the right decision? In my case, definitely. If I had not pursued this dream, I would have regretted it forever.

A day in the life of the author?
Mine changes far too often, but at the moment, I wake up and read my Bible and scribe some while I eat breakfast. I pray and then collect my thoughts for the day. I usually do a few small chores – make the bed, empty and load the dishwasher, throw laundry on, take out trash, stuff like that. I then try to get several hours of writing in. My afternoons, however, are not routine. I tutor, and sometimes there are doctor appointments or other sorts of errands / chores to do. I try to schedule all those things in the afternoon and group them together as much as possible. Most evenings after supper, I will be found with the laptop back in front of me and posting on my Facebook genealogy pages, or editing the novel, or even working on plotting for future novels. Of course, once I get a job, that schedule could change.

Advice they would give new authors?
Learn the craft, especially those things indicative of the genre you are choosing. Do NOT choose to self-publish too early. If you are young, take your time. Save money for cover artists and editors. And above all else – take classes. RWA offers a number of inexpensive classes that are helpful and give a burgeoning author lots of small group instruction. I am sure there are other places that offer classes as well. Read books with the eye of a writer. What did you like about the book? Were the characters genuine? Was the plot fast or slow? Was this done well or not so good? Learn to imitate what you like in others’ writing and then put your own spin on that style so that it becomes yours. 

Describe your writing style.
I am sort of an eclectic mix of Catherine Cookson meeting Phyllis Whitney with a dash of John Jakes sprinkled across the top. I generally push my characters through some tough hardships, and they have some deep emotional wounds to overcome. I find myself writing a bit of mystery to each book. Perhaps there is a secret to uncover. Or perhaps there is an object, such as in “The Rood,” that holds some sort of power or charm over the characters. And of course, John Jakes was a master of the historical novel.

What makes a good story?
Characters. The book can be lackluster as far as prose and grammar and writing style, but if the characters are believable and real, and I can identify with their wounds and their need to right their world, then I am in the story for the long haul.

What are they currently reading?
Currently, I am reading through Sara Donatis’ “Wilderness Series.” I am currently on book 3 “Lake in the Clouds.” There are six books in all, so I have a ways to go.

What is your writing process? For instance do you do an outline first? Do you do the chapters first?
I start with my characters, and then I move to plotting through a journey cycle. Once that journey plotting is secure, I go to a scene to scene outline structure, and I work through at least 2/3 of the book. I don’t do the last 2/3 because as I am writing sometimes things change. Besides, the last 1/3 is always pretty clear for me, it’s the first 1/3 and the beginning that gives me so much grief. 

What are common traps for aspiring writers?
Perfection. Like I always tell my students – “get the darn thing written.” Good books / reports are made in the revision stage. Poor grammar is another trap. You don’t have to be a college level grammar guru, but you should have good control of language. You should not be willing to rely completely on an editor, and you can never find your own voice unless you first have the basics. Perhaps the biggest trap I have noticed in judging contests is the lack of understanding of plot. If its not rich and layered, it shows in the first few pages, and the reader puts the book down and never comes back.

What is your writing Kryptonite?
Fatigue and my family. When duty calls, you have to drop the writing and handle family stuff. And when the hours of the day are gone, and bed calls, Donna has to go to sleep. I have hypothyroidism, so sleep is super important. I find I get a lot less done if I try to burn the midnight oil, so sometimes writing has to be put off to another day.

Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?
I try to do a little of both. I don’t want to write what someone else has already written, but at the same time, readers expect certain things from certain genres. In my case, historical fiction, they expect stories of the past and they expect those stories to be as accurate as possible in the details. Beyond that, there is wiggle room with the characters and the plotting to create something unique and different.
I think I accomplish this uniqueness in “The Children of the Light Trilogy” with the Society of Friends and a storyline that encompasses two generations. “The Rood,” my latest release, is unique in that it has a Scotsman, the son of a Jacobite rebel, and a French Acadian lass who was exiled to the colonies during The Grand Expulsion. Neither of those sub-groups are hot topics for novels.
If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
To start earlier and to believe in myself. I waited until I was 45 to get serious about getting these stories out of my head, and then it took me another twelve years to believe that people would find my books worth reading.

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
I actually have more trouble getting into my females’ heads than my males. Generally, men are straightforward. They know what they want. They know what they like, and they are relatively uncomplicated. Miller Mackintosh in “The Brooch,” which I am currently writing, has been an exception, but that was because he wouldn’t talk to me. LOL. The females, on the other hand, have their thoughts straddled everywhere and their emotions all over the place. 

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
If I were to cut through all the chaos and distractions, and just consider researching, plotting, and writing, I think the process would take me about six months to a year from start to finish including to publication. If I’m writing a sequel to a previous book, obviously it is going to take less time because I already know some or most of the characters. If I am starting from scratch with a vision and rough edges, it takes longer, mostly because of the time it takes to get to know the characters. Even so, it’s difficult to say for sure how long it takes me to write because of all the illnesses and turmoil the past few years, especially 2019. None of my books, so far, have been written under ordinary circumstances.


Do you believe in writer’s block?
Not generally, at least for me. I find writer’s block really translates into “Donna hasn’t done her plotting deep enough yet.” LOL. 

I do sometimes get stuck, and I am unsure how to go from this scene or problem to where I want to be. But that is not the same as writer’s block. That just means I need to step back and relook at the events / choices / dynamics in that scene, or even, perhaps, a few scenes back. Generally, if I do that, I can move forward again with no problem.  
Keeping Secrets 
Children of the Light Series Book 1 
by Donna Hechler Porter 
Genre: Historical Romance 


A woman with a past, a man determined to uncover the truth, and a secret that could tear them apart forever.

A Grieving Husband: Amon Cayle needs a seamstress. He has spent the last year rebuilding his life after the tragic death of his wife in a kitchen fire, the same fire that nearly took the life of his eldest son as well. The business of grieving their loss, as well as the work of his tobacco plantation, has caused him to neglect the simplest of tasks. His family now needs clothes and despite his dislike for Mary McKechnie, and their shared past, he offers her the job.

A Desperate Mother: Mary McKechnie needs a job. Her brother has threatened to take her daughters and place them into indentured service if she can’t provide for them. He hasn’t made it any easier by insisting she work only for fellow Friends. When Amon Cayle offers her a job, she has little choice but to accept.

A Devastating Secret: The last time Amon spoke with Mary, after she walked away from him into the arms of another man over twenty years ago, she assured him she was not keeping secrets. He didn’t believe her then, and he doesn’t believe her now. While she is working for him, he is determined to find answers. She is just as determined to not give them.

Will Mary be able to save Amon from the past? Or will his love threaten to destroy them both?

Keeping Secrets is the first book in the Children of the Light Series. The Society of Friends (Quakers) and 1750s colonial Virginia, on the cusp of the French and Indian War, provide the backdrop for this sweeping historical about families trying to live their faith in a new land. Fans of series books will enjoy this series of faith, love, and redemption. 


**On Sale for only .99 cents!! ** 



Breaking Promises 
Children of the Light Series Book 2 


A woman dedicated to peace, and man destined for war, and a journey that will change them forever.

A Haunted Young Woman
Annie McKechnie is desperate to go to the backcountry to her twin sister, Katie McKechnie Sawyer. She is convinced doing so is the only way to end the dreams that haunt her nights and follow her days. The one man who can help her find peace is David Cayle, and she hates him for it.

A Devoted Son
David Cayle, back from a tour of duty with the Virginia militia, is determined to mend the breach he created his with father. Taking the man into the backcountry to rescue his wayward sister, however, was not what he had in mind. Annie’s insistence on going makes matters worse, until it becomes obvious that leaving her behind is more dangerous than taking her along. Or is it?

A Harrowing Journey
A young nation fights for its destiny, and the backcountry is no place for the faint of heart. Only the stoutest souls and strongest minds endure.

But can David keep his promises? And what secrets is Annie still keeping?

Breaking Promises is the second book in the Children of the Light Series. The Society of Friends (Quakers) and 1750s colonial Virginia, on the cusp of the French and Indian War, provide the backdrop for this sweeping historical about families trying to live their faith in a new land. Fans of series books will enjoy this series of faith, love, and redemption. 




Binding Fire
Children of Light Series Book 3 


A woman without hope, a man determined to save his family, and a past that could forever change their future.

An Estranged Husband
David Cayle wants nothing to do with his wife. He may have broken promises, but she kept secrets. Important ones. His only hope to mend his shattered self is to start over in the backcountry far away from her and Cayle Farms. But walking away from her is not as easy as he thought, for she is not done with her secrets, and this one will change his life forever.

A Frightened Mother
Annie Cayle faces an unknown future. Despite her last days at Cayle Farms and the danger she left behind, she is desperate to return home. When David Cayle arrives unexpectedly in Richmond, she asks him to change his plans for the sake of her unborn child. But home is not safe, and neither is David Cayle.

A Child that Binds
With their friendship torn apart, and their marriage shattered beyond repair, David and Annie must forge a new destiny for the sake of their child. But when old enemies exact revenge they are forced to confront past secrets and broken promises.

But can David face his deepest fears to save his wife? Or, in the end, will the past destroy them both?

Binding Fire is the third book in the Children of the Light Series. The Society of Friends (Quakers) and 1750s colonial Virginia, on the cusp of the French and Indian War, provide the backdrop for this sweeping historical about families trying to live their faith in a new land. Fans of series books will enjoy this series of faith, love, and redemption. 





Donna Hechler Porter graduated from Texas A & M University with a B.S. in Education. After many years of teaching, she now homeschools her twin sons and is active in her local homeschool group. Her first foray into fiction, her "Children of the Light Trilogy," has already won numerous awards. She is a member of Romance Writer's of America, as well as the subchapters Hearts Through History and Northwest Houston's Lonestar Chapter. In addition to fiction, she has published five genealogy books and a short biography on her struggles with hypothyroidism titled "Will Someone Please Shoot the Cuckoo?" She is currently working on her fourth novel. You can visit her at her website/blog at donnahechlerporterbooks.wordpress.com





Large mug, 2 candy bars, and a $25 Starbucks gift card 
Follow the tour HERE for special content and a giveaway!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Calabritto by Tony Nesca Genre: Literary Fiction

   Tony Nesca's free-flow writing draws the reader into a tragi-comedy of  epic proportions.   Calabritto by Tony Nesca Genre: Liter...