Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Dragon Pillars by Sanzaki Kojika Genre: Epic Fantasy

How long have you been writing?

            I started writing when I was like eight. It’s been a tremendously long time. I wasn’t very good at first, but I feel I’ve grown a lot. It’s been twenty-four years since then and still writing. I now just actually write stories rather than nonsensical words strung together. I’ve always written fantasy-based stories though, so it’s no surprise that’s the genre I’ve stuck with.

Do the characters all come to you at the same time or do some of them come to you as you write?

            For the most part, when I start a story, I have a main cast in mind. Not all of them are completely fleshed out, especially those that will be joining later, but I have an idea of who they are and how they will interact with the rest of the characters. Other characters, especially side characters and even sometimes villains, develop as the story moves along, so it’s not uncommon for a completely unplanned character to show up in a supporting role. As soon as a character appears in my mind, I draft out a profile for them and usually even do a bit of sketching to understand that better. My drawer at work is full of random doodles and sketches of characters as I go through them. Every character I create has their own profile, though it’s not usually super in-depth for characters that are short-term or not tremendously important.

What kind of research do you do before you begin writing a book?

            It really depends on the book, but I do usually do some research before I begin writing. In the case of fantasy books, it’s often just simply things like character names, the distance between places, time it would take to ride somewhere on horseback or walk, and even the basics of different cultures or religions. In other cases, especially with books like Archive of Sinners or even my webcomic Zos Kias that take place in our real world and in real locations, I do a lot of research and photograph or save photos of those locations to use as reference or just better understand the build. Archive takes place in Chicago and Schaumburg area which makes it easy for me to go visit, but I’ve never been to London or Warrick, so Zos Kias uses a lot more research. Zos Kias in general probably has the most research involved since there are also a couple characters based on real people (historically dead). I have a whole binder full of notes for that series.

Do you read yourself and if so what is your favorite genre?

            I try to read as much as I can, but I haven’t had as much time as I used to. I predominately read fantasy, but I also love a good mystery, or even paranormal. I tend to be the type who chooses books at completely random. I like going to stores like 2nd and Charles, or Half Price Books, and looking through the shelves and picking stuff that looks interesting. I’ve also found great books at local author events or even at conventions. I admittedly tend to favor indie authors or small authors for what I read, but I usually don’t look for author names when buying books. The only genre of fiction I steer clear from is romance. Just not my thing.

Do you prefer to write in silence or with noise? Why?

            I like to work with noise. It helps me focus and drown out a lot of unnecessary distractions. I know a lot of people are the opposite, but when it’s extremely silent, my mind just wants to do a million things at a time. The noise helps keep that in check a bit better.

Do you write one book at a time or do you have several going at a time?

            I tend to start a lot of projects at the same time, but I try to give my focus all to just one at a time as I can. For instance, right now, I have Dragon Pillars: Shadow & Light, Hanif, and The Archive of Sinners: Envy, all started. I’ve been focusing on writing Hanif for now, but that could change easily. I also am always scripting out new storyboards for my webcomic Zos Kias on top of that, though I usually do it chapter at a time, which means I get a couple months between each writing. I’m the type that works better when I have more than one thing going on though.

Pen or type writer or computer?

            I prefer to type on my computer, but it’s not always possible. I used to write in notebooks a lot, but I haven’t done that in quite some time. Computer is still my most used, but I also have written a lot in the notes on my phone, or more recently, just right on google docs. My current big work in progress, Hanif, had a couple entire chapters written on my phone while waiting for my fiancĂ© to do a test drive at an auto show.

Advice they would give new authors?

            Never stop writing. It’s okay to faulter and not have strong ideas, but you should always write, no matter what, no matter how weak. You can always go back and edit, but once you break that flow, it’s more difficult to begin again.
            It’s also a good idea to set deadlines for yourself. Nothing too extreme that will leave you stressed, but just goals to reach in a certain time frame. It’s easier to develop habits if you push to make them.

What are they currently reading?


            The Devil in the White City (Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America) is my current read. I know a lot about HH Holmes and the World’s Fair growing up so close to Chicago, but there is a lot of the specifics I didn’t know, especially the politics behind it. I thought this book would be a bit tedious to read since it’s so heavy with facts and data, but it’s well written and I’m quite enjoying it. It’s mostly been the book I’ve taken with me to physical therapy appointments, which always makes for strange conversation. I already have a small stack of books lined up in order to read next.
Water & Fire 
The Dragon Pillars Book 1 
by Sanzaki Kojika 
Genre: Epic Fantasy 


There is a legend that everyone knows- the legend of the Dragon Pillars. Every several hundred years, darkness befalls the land. The Dragons awaken and choose their Pillars, humans strong enough to withstand their powers, and together they drive back the darkness.

In the towering cathedral of Vivdaugas, students flock to study the archives built upon the legend and train to reach the glory of its heroes. Garred Conway is preparing for his test to become a true Defender when a storm threatens to destroy the citadel, and the land around it. Trapped in the catacombs, desperate to save those he cares for, he finds help from the most surprising place- the Water Dragon Aysu. Now, as Aysu's new pillar, he finds himself with more responsibility thrust on him than he could have ever imagined. 

**Only .99 cents April 7th-14th!!** 




Earth & Wind 
The Dragon Pillars Book 2 


The Pillar of Fire Shula is left reeling with loss and a new heavy burden of responsibility. The Water Pillar Garred leads a small party into the dangerous Whispering Forest to seek out weapons that were blessed by the Light Dragon. Disaster is narrowly avoided, but it brings a dark secret to light.Once reunited, Shula steels her resolve and the journey continues. With two Dragons awoken, their quest for the third leads them to the harsh terrain of the desert. The sand dregs up a certain Defender’s self-proclaimed pathetic past and the hard feelings associated with it. Can a Dragon really chose a Pillar from an isolated people dedicated to a life of pacifism? 

**Only .99 cents May 4th– 11th!!** 






Fawn Szymoniak, aka “Sanzaki Kojika” has been a resident of the fantasy world from a young age, growing up in a house full of books and mythology. Her mother introduced her to fantasy works by authors like Barbara Hambly and Terry Brooks. By the age of 8, she had already written her first novel (albeit crudely). Since then, she has taken to mostly writing fantasy, following characters through magical worlds full of wonder and danger. Her series “The Archive of Sinners” stands out as her only non-fantasy, being a paranormal mystery. 

On top of her writing, she is also a freelance graphic designer. Her love of art and writing, spurred her onto comics. She has several graphic novels self-published, including her webcomic “Zos Kias,” which is over 10 years old. 




Follow the tour HERE for special content and a giveaway!




1 comment:

Season of the Runer: The Trial of Two Season of the Runer Book 1 by Abigail Linhardt Genre: Dark Epic Fantasy, Swords & Sorcery

   The dead are rising   The endless road and life of a monster-hunting Runer has gone stale for Tzarik and death is the only alternative. ...